So I'm a member of Audible (ADBL) which basically is Netflix for audiobooks (the beautiful part, and part of the reason why I invested in it, is it's like Netflix without the shipping and storage costs... which I would think is a big chunk of those costs!). As I was stuck in my hour long commute (for some reason when it rains, traffic slows way down), I'm listening to a book called "Made to Stick" about how some ideas stick and others don't. It talked about the "Where's the beef?" commercials that Wendy's used to put out, and how it's sticky because it's funny, you have normal people talking about it, and it's a very concrete concept (just take a look at the tiny burgers today). It said on the contrary, some consumer products companies somehow link abstract concepts of a mother loving their kids to fabric softeners.
WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT DOWNY DOES!
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
i've never listened to a book on tape. do you listen to any fiction on tape?
I've listened to a couple... but those I'd rather read!
apparently P&G likes that advertising scheme...remember "choosey mom's choose Jif"?
Books on tape are interesting. While it's literally someone reading the book to you, you (ok, I) get a totally different perception on the book vs reading it (or vs seeing the movie, tho that's a tad different). It's interesting to read, hear, and see the same "book".
To Martha's point about catch phrases, when I was in marketing they showed a study that P&G has the highest number of memorable phrases of any company. From "The quicker picker upper" to "Choosey mom's choose Jif" to "If it's gotta be clean, it's gotta be Tide". I think Kellog's came in second, although only one I can think of now is "Theeeerrreee Grrrrreeeeaaatttt" from Tony the Tiger.
A close 3rd is the radio commercial I keep hearing
"You've been coming here for years,
Isn't time you know our name,
we're Epic...and we're right around the corner"
Dale - talk to me offline, it's all about making emotional links versus humorous or other "memorable" avenues. You can't just be sticky, because it doesn't always sell, examples like the taco bell dog. Very sticky, not great returns for the business. I remember the dog but does it make me want to buy the product?
Post a Comment