Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Discovering my strengths

So in my continuing quest to figure out what I should do with my career/life, I've started reading the book "Now, Discover Your Strengths" by Marcus Buckingham. The premise is basically we all focus too much on improving our weaknesses instead of really leveraging our strengths. In the middle of the book, you can go to a website and type in a code found in the book's covering and take one of these tests that tells you your strengths. It's pretty good, it's set up so you can't try to cheat it because it asks you to compare two things that both sound good. The end result is 5 strength "themes" that describe me. And here they are (no "clerical" this time):

Maximizer - Likes to take things from good to superb (as opposed to below average to above average)
Futuristic - Kind of person who asks "wouldn't it be great if..." all the time
Ideation - Loves ideas, loves connecting two things that don't appear to be connected
Individualization - Prefer to see people as individuals and treat them according to how they are, dislike generalizations of people
Strategic - Seeing patterns where others see complexity, asking "what if" and playing out scenarios

I'll go through each one of the five and my revelations. Meanwhile, if any of you who know me have any reactions to any or all of these, I'd love to hear it. You might trigger something that'll jump start my life! (Is that the "Futuristic" part of me coming out?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't know how to jump start your life, but i think it's hilarious that "futuristic" is on here. why? because you actually do say "wouldn't it be great if..." ALL the time. and maybe you should get a space suit.

Anonymous said...

Dale here is my list

Learner
Focus
Futuristic
Intellection
Analytical

PS I have the book on tape if that is better for you. I prefer killing time during my ride into work.

I would say you get 0 chance to do any of your strengths in your current role.

PPS check out Rachel's blog within my blog.

Anonymous said...

Your strengths sound like they would fit the stock market

Anonymous said...

i just got my list:

input
intellection
adaptability
empathy
ideation

and now i don't know any more about myself than i did before the quiz.

Martha said...

can you share the website and code?

Karen said...

dale, i think it's no coincidence that two of them bond together - imaginative and futuristic. That's TOTALLY you. You need to take a trip to the Eureka! Ranch.

Dale said...

I finished the book this weekend. Thanks for sharing you alls'es stuff, now I can read through the chapters that tell you how to deal with these type of people and see if it works.

Martha, I think you hafta buy the book because each of the codes are unique... Not a bad business model for them.