Sunday, July 01, 2007

An open letter to Dave Polley

Dear Dave,

I'm writing to respond to your comments about your recent softball hitting struggles. As someone who has had many struggles, and one who will again in the future, I would tell you the best thing to do is to stay positive. It doesn't necessarily help your hitting prowess, but it does snap you out of it faster. You're someone who's been so remarkably consistent in the past that you probably don't know what it's like to to be in a slump.

You say that you're feeling your age... I actually have logical reasoning as to why that cannot be the reason for your recent slump. You age gradually; your slump has only happened recently. If you were not hitting well because of your age, it would gradually go down. You wouldn't suddenly lose it.

So what's the problem? It's just timing. I think the whole team on Wednesday was reaching for pitches. Don't know if that's because of their pitchers or if we were all anxious, but that's just what happened. So just make a point to wait back... In fact, I'm thinking I might need to do this too (my hit was a little dribbler that went through the second baseman, so I didn't exactly do well). I was almost to the point where I wasn't even paying attention to the pitch until it got closer to the plate.

So overall, you've been a consistently good hitter in the past, and you will again the future. Make a point to let the ball come to you and stay positive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dale,
Thanks so much for you words of wisdom. You are so right about the age thing. I guess if I had not hit well the last year, I could contribute it to getting older. Strange though, I have 3 triples this year, and I know I have never done that before. I believe some of the tips Jim sent us will help too. I have been clutching the bat very tightly, trying to smash it somewhere, and I have NOT been patient and waited for my pitch. See you Wednesday.