Sunday, July 08, 2007

My letter to DJ Orthopedics

July 8, 2007

DJ Orthopedics

1430 Decision Street
Vista, CA 92081

Dear DJ Customer Service Representative:

I am writing to express my disappointment and request a refund for a pair of knee braces that I had to pay for out of my own pocket. I’m a long time customer of DJ, ordering more than 5 pairs of knee braces in my life. I really am a big fan of your products, which is why I am writing to give you a chance to keep me as a customer.

About 2 years ago, I received knee braces from my doctor. My doctor was in network for my insurance, however due to a technicality – the insurance company said the doctor was in network but not as a distributor of knee braces – the braces were not covered. Both my doctor and the DJ representative said the braces should be covered, however there were “contract issues” and my insurance refused coverage after many appeals. DJ then sent me a bill for $242.00 to cover the two braces.

I then asked DJ to waive the charges because I’ve been a long time customer and would be for the rest of my life. DJ rejected my appeal, and I sent a letter to Steve Burns. I didn’t hear from Steve, and the bills stopped coming. A month ago I got a call from your collection agency to collect on the $242.00. I paid the bill, however I’m extremely unhappy that you decided to go this route. Is this a way to treat a regular customer?

Again, I’ve bought at least 5 braces in the past, and since I’m only 29 years old and I plan on playing for many more years. I will potentially be purchasing at least 5 more pairs. I’ve always gone through the insurance company, who has paid full price for the braces. This time around, a very stupid technicality prevented coverage. I gave DJ a chance to really cement their relationship with me by asking them to waive the charge, but instead you sent a collection agency after me.

Since I truly do like your product, I want to give you another chance to keep me as a customer. DJ talks about customer satisfaction being important to them; here’s an opportunity to show it. Please consider refunding me the $242.00 I paid to the collection agency. It would allow me to continue being a DJ customer.

I can be reached via email at xxx, phone at xxx, and by mail at xxx. I have enclosed copies of my bill, my letter to Steve Burns, and the payment to your collection agency.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PS If you don't refund me, I'm going to blog this.

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Let me know how it goes. I've been dealing with some rather stubborn companies myself.

Finlands finest said...

Good luck. The letter was well written!