Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Wedding

Just returned from my sister's wedding, and it was the most unique wedding I've ever gone to. I can't begin to describe all the emotions and feelings that went into the wedding.

My sister, for those who don't know her, is about as outside-the-box and non-conformist as there is. The groomsmen and bridesmaids all wore all black, and she and her now husband wore all white. And you know what, it worked. And for those who want the answer, yes, I did end up tearing up at the wedding to the point where someone handed me a tissue.

But the day was full of wonderful surprises...

1. We dodged a bunch of scattered downpours and got the ceremony in (scattered downpours beats a hurricane, which was west of us, and tropical storm, which was north of us, anyday).
2. Per my sister's request, I played the Canon in D for her when she walked down the aisle with my dad.
3. They wrote and read their own vows to each other.
4. My cousin, who flew in from Taiwan, borrowed a guitar and sang a song he wrote for my sister and Brady
5. My aunt from Taiwan, who is a pastor, did another ceremony including stamping their Chinese names in an official book... so their marriage would be official according to Chinese custom as well.
6. We watched a 20 minute professionally done video of pictures from Linda and Brady's childhood... starring Steve "The Homer" True (local sports talk show host and former colleague of Linda's) as "cupid."
7. Linda made an absolutely wonderful speech, heartfelt and completely unrehearsed, that made us all tear up again.

I'm about emotionally drained... and I'm going to bed.

2 comments:

Karen said...

well that's just wonderful! i need pictures!!! :)

Finlands finest said...

Sounds like a great ceremony and a very special occasion!