Thursday, May 15, 2008

Blog of consciousness

So I realized that I haven't been doing much blogging recently... I used to use blogging as a place to reflect, to share interesting insights, or to talk about whatever. When I get on a blog roll, it seems like I go from inspiration to blog really quick. Recently it seems like I've been going with inspiration, then "eh, why bother" to not doing it. I find myself coming home and feeling sleepy a lot, which has killed a lot of inspiration to be productive in time I have at home.

So what's going on? Recently I've tried to find ways to inspire myself... I've made a trip to Panera, hit the batting cages with Dave, I even downloaded a new audiobook called "Getting Things Done." The one thing that I am doing is to go ahead and turn in early when I'm sleepy (kinda like what I plan on doing tonight). You know it's bad when you try to find something to do so you don't go to bed too early and screw up your sleep schedule.

The past couple of weeks have been a bit on the rainy side... our Wed night softbal team has in essence been rained out twice (although the first week we were officially on, but the other team didn't show up because it was raining, so we actually got a win). I'm actually going to be gone quite a bit on the weekends for the next month or so for 2 weddings, and one banquet.

The one banquet is for the Organization of Chinese Americans in Milwaukee, which my family is a member of. One of the things they do is to hand out a scholarship to graduating seniors, and I received one back in 1996. They're celebrating the 20th anniversary of giving out those scholarships, so I figure it's a good time to go back and to show some appreciation for the scholarship. They plan on having me speak... so somehow I hafta figure out a way to say "You don't hafta be a doctor or an engineer or have a PhD to be successful" in front of a hundred Chinese parents without getting forcibly removed off the stage. So I'll need to be tactful!

Well, that's that! Hope you're proud of me, I'm hoping this entry gets me going again to inspire me to be productive.

5 comments:

Karen said...

This guest speaking gig sounds pretty cool. I think your message will have to be delivered tactfully, especially based on what you told me about the chinese culture and their definition of success. I'm sure you'll be great.

So, what are these thigns you've been entertaining yourself with to stay awake? Do you need to borrow my People Magazines?

Katharine said...

"I hafta figure out a way to say "You don't hafta be a doctor or an engineer or have a PhD to be successful" in front of a hundred Chinese parents without getting forcibly removed off the stage"

That's freaking hilarious. I had to laugh out loud. I was discussing this "issue" about Chinese culture a week ago... My (Chinese) friend consults for the UN, CEOs, politicians, and diplomats, yet his parents recently asked him if he'll ever be successful...and they tell other people "oh he had some conference in San Francisco to attend..." as opposed to "the mayor of San Francisco brought him in as an expert consult" or "he was an invited speaker at a conference"...

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Hope they tape your speech. I want to hear it.

Martha said...

I laughed at that statement, too. Good luck! But it's a good point, really and one that sounds like you are strong enough to make. Kudos to you.

Yea for blogging more often! You usually have something thought provoking thrown in many blogs.

Have fun on all your travels! I have a busy June coming up, but I'm looking forward to finally travelling again (wait..TX and New Orleans in JUNE? WTF?).

Dale said...

People Magazines might help me fall asleep more...