Hello fellow readers... Been out of town the last week or so, last four days in good ol' Lima, OH at the Downy making plant. Figured I'd better blog something to make sure I stay off of Karen's delisting, um, list.
I really have nothing to say. It's 9:38 PM on a Friday night, and I'm just about ready to go to bed cause I'm tired from all that Downy making. Let's see... this is stream of consciousness, much like "Cather in the Rye" except I won't be paying for a hooker and then asking her to leave without rendering her services.
Last weekend I took another trip back to the great state of Wisconsin, whose football team was the topic of the last blog. Wow, 13 comments... I think that breaks a record. Guess I should welcome two new contributors who both made their presence felt in those 13 comments, Dave S. (Tom's twin brother) and Martha, who now has a new nickname thanks to Jen, "Martha the Worthy."
I guess I have one thing to blog... I was summoned for jury duty supposedly this morning. I sent in a letter signed by my boss saying I'd be out of town all week (which I was, I just got home this afternoon). On Thursday, I called to see if I'd been excused. I was told I needed to talk to Michelle, who is the only person in the whole world apparently who can excuse someone. Michelle wasn't there, she was gonna be in later. I call later. No Michelle. I call in the early PM. No Michelle. I call again a little later, and am told Michelle has left for the day. I say, "I'm due for jury duty tomorrow at 8 AM, and I need to know if I am excused because I would need to make travel arrangements to come back for that." The lady says, "you are excused." I'm like whoa. I wise up and ask her name, just in case. After I hang up, I realize, unless she remembers me from my previous 3 calls, that I never told her my name. I have no idea what kind of a system Warren County has for jury selection.
Well, hope I'll be up for more quality blogs in the next day or two. Thanks for bearing with it!
Friday, October 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I'm so amused that I got a shout out on your blog! You made my day! Glad you had a good trip - was it Green Bay???
Martha
I'm such a dork. Apparently you state in your first sentence or so that you were in Lima, OH, NOT Green Bay....
Yay, I can make someone's day just by shouting out!
You're not completely wrong, I WAS in Wisconsin the weekend before, in Milwaukee.
Sounds like you get out of Cincy a lot, then; that's fun. I guess that helps makes it a bearable town in which to live (then again, traveling to Lima would make ANY town bearable).
jury duty? ok, i think i might be the only person who's actually interested in doing this. I know the pay sucks and it's probably more headache than fun, but still seems cool to be a decisionmaker in society. :)
Karen-move to Carolina Beach, NC and get a parking ticket...apparently only those with any offense of a sort gets selected for jury duty there.
I got selected once just after I turned 18, but I got excused, and haven't heard since.
I actually really wanted to do the jury duty, I'm with Karen, I'd love to see what it was like too.
I had to read Martha's comment a few times to figure out what she meant, but I think she's Cinci bashing. Are you gonna take that Karen?
The thing about Cincy is everyone (okay, minus the Templins, apparently) can't wait to leave while they are growing up. And then *something* always draws them back. You just can't help it; it's this pull towards Cincy, yet it's not really a place anyone says "I'm moving to Cincinnati" and people respond "how fascinating, I can't wait to come visit...!"
Cincinnati ROCKS!!!!
Martha may have just lost the worthy part...hehe just kidding!!
I would like to try jury duty once too...
Jen, you're yet another example of my Cincy-returning phenomenon: you went away to school, and then to Chicago, and now,years later, you're ending up back in Cincy!
you know what it is about Cincinnati... when you grow up here it doesn't seem that exciting because it's what you've always known. When you leave you realize that there's so much more to it that's great - good place to raise a family, big enough to have events (ie tall stacks), sports (ie Bengals), shows (ie Aronoff), etc. Really, there is no better city for getting an intimate (perhaps clique-y, admittedly) feel but still having "big town" features.
Can't help it if Jen's smart and comes home.
Even Dale doesn't want to leave now that he's here!!
I just think there is crack in the water to keep everyone coming back. Cincy is never a place people (other than those from there) ever want to move to. The only thing that brings outsiders in is employment. The greed for money can do crazy things.
Jury Duty is terrible. I did it in College in Mass where you only have to be there for one day. I managed to get excused from the first trial which was going to last 2 weeks. A chinese landlord (woman) whose testimony would be given through an interpretor was accused of raping a disabled tennant whose testimanoy would be given via a keyboard. I ended up on an open and close DUI, and realized you don't ever want your future decided by 7 people (not 12 in this case) who don't want to be there and are willing to say and do anything to get out of there.
Post a Comment