Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Alaska and allergies

So Chuck, one of the fellow cruise members, sees this cat as we walk around Hoonah, Alaska. He points to it and goes, hey look, it's an Alas-cat!

OK, the whole purpose of this entry was not only to present that bad pun. But an article on Yahoo caught my eye... Apparently they've bred a cat that lacks the protein that causes allergies! Check it out www.allerca.com (now do you see what I was reminded of the above story? The site is SOO close to being Alas-cat).

If I had known about this, maybe I'd still be with my ex-girlfriend. Or maybe not. It does cost like $4000.

Semi-related note... Notice how close "Catholic" is to "Cataholic"? Wonder if there's a connection...

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, i NEVER leave blog comments. why? because i can't be that girl. but here's the deal. this one was a must... because at tom and meghan's wedding, inside a catholic church, i wondered the EXACT same thing. i read "catholic" and then i asked (aloud), "what's a cataholic?" hmmmm...

Karen said...

rachel is a riot. i lol'ed at remembering that cat pun of chucks. we're all so cool. :)

Martha said...

An allerca is wrong! That's as bad as adding genes from cold-water fish to strawberries, so strawberries can grow in cooler climates (so much for being vegan). Why can't we just leave 'em be and let evolution take it's course?!?

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

That's a friggin expensive cat. Isn't allergy treatment cheaper than that? I guess it is an alternative if allergy treatments never cured you.

Do they have some kind of patent on that? What's going to keep people from buying 2 and tripling their investment every year. They must give them to you spayed/neutered.

Also, not to be argumentative, just curious... what's your reasoning for being Vegan? I think a lot of people do it for health, animal cruelty, religious reasons. The strawberry is still going to be a strawberry except they'll be cheaper to produce. Also, I heard on NPR that something like 90% of corn (and I believe wheat) is planted with Monsanto seeds which involve genomics based marker-assisted breeding. They are also the leader in the soybean seed market. Just a few more things if you plan on giving up strawberries.

Anonymous said...

i don't think the matter at hand is how much the cat costs, but why would you ever buy a cat? period.

Anonymous said...

Frightening! "Allerca" actually reminded me of "Allegra" first. And their website does resemble that of a pharmaceutical website. The website has a cold, sterile look and feel, rather than a warm and fuzzy one. I was half expecting to see the scientific/generic name (felinahexadonaphen) and a list of contraindications. =)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Finlands finest said...

Are the cats still furry??

Dale said...

The cats still shed and are still furry, you just aren't allergic to them. And actually, some cats are better than others when it comes to my allergies to them. So I can totally see how this would work.

And Ms. Worthy, these cats are bred this way, not genetically engineered this way. Kinda like your dog was bred.

Karen said...

again, i agree with rachel. who in the world would EVER buy a cat? That's not to say owning a cat is bad, but paying money for something that strolls everywhere (downtown, alleys, shelters, etc.) is crazy!

Martha said...

I guess I don't understand cats and allergies. What was a cat bred with to make it non-allergenic? If a cat already existed that was this way, then what's the need for a 4k cat?

I am by no means vegan; I just have food-related knowledge. I find it impossible for someone to be vegan (whole other issue). However, a vegan would never knowingly eat a fruit that has an animal gene in it.

Anonymous said...

i knew there was a reason why i liked karen so much. i mean, besides her striking good looks.

Karen said...

no, rachel, that's why I like YOU! ;)

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Cats are for people who want pets but don't want to put a lot of effort into taking care of them. There are also those that genuinely like cats.

I don't get vegans. They need Vitamin B12 and they get it from a multivitamin. But they get the B12 from animal sources (meat, dairy, eggs). Haha you're eating flesh! Good 'ol flesh.

Dale said...

Martha, you and Winston (madphoenix) should talk. He's a food science dude who loves food almost as much as he loves... um... football?

Martha said...

how many food scientists do you know? Winston - what do you do? where?

Martha said...

oh yea. breeding for any trait is the same as genetically altering them (that is pretty much the definition of breeding - taking two sets of genes, combinging them, and a third results...) It's how a lot of genetically altered foods came about.

Martha said...

oh yea. breeding for any trait is the same as genetically altering them (that is pretty much the definition of breeding - taking two sets of genes, combinging them, and a third results...) It's how a lot of genetically altered foods came about.

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

I'm making pet food near Long Beach, CA for Del Monte. And yes, it is glorious work.