Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The World's Biggest Random Thing That They're Famous For

So apparently, the neighboring town of High Point, NC is famous for the world's tallest chest of drawers (known as the "Bureau of Information" in a previous life, that's what it said!). As an aside, I learned today that the name of the city comes from when they were putting down the location for major plank road to intersect with the railroad, they chose the highest point in the area. The city grew from around there, and then they decided what the heck, let's build a really big ass piece something that looks like furniture. I guess the area was known for its furniture before China decided to start letting people take advantage of cheap labor (Thomasville, which I assume is home of Thomasville furniture, is around here... kinda like how Johnsonville is the home the Johnsonville brats for my Wisconsin readers). So, I was told (tongue firmly pressed in cheek) that this was THE thing to see. So I drove the 40 minutes round trip to go see it. Without tongue firmly pressed in cheek, it was totally lame. But the tongue was well buried within cheek, so I'm more than happy with my decision to go see it! I even had my postcard of this thing that I had bought when I was here like 4 years ago mailed back from a mail box a block away.

Oh, it doesn't end here. It gets even better! See if you notice something that doesn't belong in this picture (other than the socks sticking out):


That's right! It's a For Sale sign! This thing is for freakin' sale! So, of course I can't leave it at that. I looked up the website it was for sale on, and it's being offered for $195,000. This four story piece of art (hard to say that with a straight face) can be mine! So that got me thinking... what can I do with this thing? Museum? Bar? Restaurant? Actually, I feel a top ten list coming on... Top 10 things you can do with a giant 4 story dresser drawer with 2 socks sticking out... I'll hafta work on that.

1 comment:

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Well, the Japanese supposedly rent drawers to sleep in. Buying that will be the first step in building your chain of luxury hotels.