Saturday, August 21, 2010

It's all starting to hit me

I listed my house on Monday of this week... so it's officially on the market! My first showing is tomorrow afternoon. It's quite a milestone after all this work.

Today I toured 3 apartment complexes... and it touched off a wave of anxiety on my part. The first one was a little older than I expected and not what I envisioned. The second was OK. The third one was a good location, but again not as nice as I had envisioned. I suddenly started thinking "oh my god what have I done." I'm giving up all this space... what if I don't find anything as nice as my house? What if work moves me somewhere close to here and I choose a place closer to downtown? Will I wish that everything just goes back to status quo? It's comfortable here! Maybe I screwed up and owning a house isn't that bad?

I re-read a chapter in a book I'm reading called Get Out of Your Own Way entitled Backing Down Because You Don't Feel Ready. In each chapter, it provides a little nugget, or a takeaway. This chapter's takeaway was "Just because you're nervous doesn't mean you're not ready." It's normal to have anxiety and be a little nervous when making a change. It's nice to read those words again, but I'm still a little anxious and hopefully I'll be able to fall asleep soon...

4 comments:

Karen said...

there are so many cool places out there - just not these three.... life could be great and an apartment doesn't have to be small....

Dale said...

Thanks Karen! I'll keep lookin'

Viki said...

I agree - keep looking.

So many people would rather deal with a bad situation because they know what it's like, rather than venture into the unknown. As long as you can acknowledge that, you can keep moving forward.

For the record, I felt the same wave of anxiety when I was leaving my old job. It was a horrible place to work and was affording me no new opportunities, yet I still felt scared about going somewhere new. I'm SO glad I got out of there.

Martha said...

good luck! I hope your home doesn't stay on the market as long as mine has.
For the record, I think you're pretty crazy voluntarily listing your house in this market!! I wish you the best anyway. :)