So my little sister and her husband were in town this weekend to attend a wedding... my sister got on me a lot for the lack of furniture/furnishings in my place. I really had to think a bit as to how I was feeling about living in my house the last few months. I spend very little time there, as after work I tend to find a place with wifi to log in before heading to my evening activity (kinda like tonight, where I'm at a Starbucks blogging). Unlike many others, I'm not really passionate about the place. I no longer feel like mowing the lawn or working on the landscape. A garden I tried to put in this spring has died before bearing any fruit. I keep it up enough to be an average lawn in the neighborhood.
My sister has a good point... she says that if I were to spruce it up a bit I'd enjoy the house more. But I think it's a chicken and egg thing... do I not enjoy it because I don't put any effort in it, or do I not put any effort in it because I don't appreciate it? Also, I'm conflicted by furniture... yea, some furniture would be nice, but it's mighty expensive and if I'm not that into it, should I really be spending money on it? I'm sure living as a bachelor has something to do with it... my psyche probably doesn't recognize this as a "settled" state, even though I've been there 7 years now.
The new school year and the construction on I-275 probably hasn't helped the cause. The traffic bothers the heck out of me now. I'm sitting in the Kenwood area now, and it seems like it's a good strategic location here... closer to work, downtown, stuff. So I guess I'm to the point of "desiring" but not to the point of "action" yet on a move. Maybe I should wait and see where my P&G career takes me before making another location based move (my current house is 10 minutes away from the P&G site I worked at when I bought it, and within a year I had moved to a location 20 minutes further).
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
you sound like you should be an upscale condo owner. Less work, still good interior, smaller space you wouldn't need as much furniture for.
I agree with Karen.
And I had to laugh a few times b/c Alvin is exactly the same way - minimal furniture and the lack of desire to do yardwork (to be fair he's out of town Mon thru Thurs which limits the amount of time he spends there and can work on it); he's been living in this house for 1.5 years and still has 2 rooms completely empty. In the last 4 months he bought a desk and chair for the "office" and a set of table and chairs for the "kitchen/dining room".
Put it on the market and see how you feel about it if an offer comes in.
Dave
If you want someone to go to IKEA with to look at furniture/art, I love to decorate!
I am a condo owner and I think Karen is right too. Since you already own a house, with the market, it may be easier for you to stay where you are...
If you ever want to check out condos--there are quite a few for sale in my neighborhood.
Post a Comment