Thursday, July 24, 2008

Football formation.... all 11 players eligible?

Came across this article from a high school coach who created an offense where all 11 players could potentially be eligible to catch a pass. I'm still trying to figure out if it's legal in the NFL.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just reading about that.
That looks pretty neat, I bet you'll see more 1-AA teams use it against 1-A teams to level the playing field.

Dave

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! One major disclaimer is that all 11 players are only *potentially* eligible. Before the snap, they have to shift and set into a somewhat traditional formation where there are at least 7 guys on the line, with the inside 5 ineligible to receive.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/positionofplayers

I think this would be legal in the NFL. But it would be of very limited use, like special team trick plays. NFL definitely could not use as an every down offense. The defenses are too good. But it would be really fun to see!

Dale said...

I think I see one flaw in this for the NFL. And that's rule #6:

If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.

I think you hafta declare eligibility before the play begins... but maybe that's only for people with non-eligible numbers.