So here we are, the beginning of the perfect storm of stuff that makes this time of year suck (btw, "perfect storm" I believe was on the list of banned phrases for 2008). I'm talking about the time period between when the Superbowl is played and March Madness starts. First, football is over. Second, it's so freakin' cold out you don't wanna do anything. Third, I hafta deal with Valentine's Day... or lack thereof. Although I can't complain this year.
I've decided I need to schedule a vacation to somewhere warm in the month of February every year. Maybe a cruise to somewhere warm, or a trip to Brewers spring training in Arizona. I think southern California is also a good option. Man I'd love to go see the Brewers in Arizona this year...
Two years ago I got to go see them as part of Stupidfest (we went to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, and Phoenix) and I really enjoyed it. We sat in the right field bleachers and soaked up the sun. We were heckling the Brewers right fielder to throw us a ball, but he wouldn't do it. That right fielder turned out to be Corey Hart, who now is the starting right fielder for the Brewers. And he's awesome too!
Chinese New Year was this week... I took Kelly to a local Chinese restaurant to celebrate it. In a perfect example of East meets West, I gave her a red envelope (which is traditionally given during Chinese New Year and it usually has money in it) with a Starbucks gift card inside. What a country! We tried to figure out why Chinese New Year fell on different days every year, and why it didn't coincide with the Western calendar. I tried out many hypotheses, Google, and wikipedia... and it was a lot more complicated than I thought. Apparently in the Chinese lunar calendar they have leap months!
For what it's worth, I read today that Mars is also experiencing global warming. We should be ashamed of ourselves for driving so many SUVs that we've screwed up Mars too!
Reminds me of another quote from a CEO of a company that one of my friends works at... "We will take this company global... and beyond!" So what's next, we selling cheese on Mars?
I'm also desperately finding ways to burn off the nervous energy I have for my car... I've read the brochure cover to cover, I check acurazine.com even though I have very little interest on the topics they talk about. On Friday I emailed the dealer to ask if they had any financing deals, but really I wanted to just ask where my car was. At least he humored me and sent me the VIN number for it!
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Coooorrreeyy Cooooooreeeeeyy
I bet Bud Selig's bodyguard is still trying to hunt us down.
how nice that you celebrated chinese new year full out!! :)
i laughed out loud at your SUV/Mars comment! ha!
your post had me laughing a little too hard (for sitting at "work" in a cubicle - wait, we had a reorg. There is no one in my area anymore...just me and some cubicle "walls").
wait a minute. Why didn't Alvin and I celebrate the Chinese New Year?!??
even i celebrated the lunar new year. no red envelopes, although it was discussed that we should. then we realized we'd be passing them out to everyone and their mother, and we weren't really up for that.
And who's Alvin?
dude. you're so behind. He's my boyfriend (we've been dating since early Sept-shocking, I know, that I've dated someone CONTINUOUSLY for more than 2 months).
:)
Dale..........
Jim will be getting the ping pong table soon... It will be a nice way to burn up some energy and work on that "hand / eye" coordination for softball. A great winter sport
David P.
I now click on your blog as often as possible. Sometimes every other blog viewing if it works out that way. But definitely multiple times a day. Ever since you posted about keeping track I'm trying to skew your numbers (though I know you know it's me b/c it claims Portland - unless you have other Portland followings). Is it working?
Yea, times are slow. and I'm soooo easily amused.
ok, what does chocolate have to do with the chinese new year? Why is there a google ad for that (I get b/c you mentioned the chinese new year). But chocolate is more central american than chinese.
Then again, tomatoes are american and not Italian. Potatoes are american and not Irish/British. And we see how some of those countries have adopted the foods as sort of cuisine staples...
wow. what a tangent.
I like the mars SUV comment!!!
When we start affecting Pluto---there's a serious issue!
haha. you have an ad for Sylvan Math tutors, too. That makes me laugh as you're wanting to eliminate fractions but they can help you with your long division!!
Post a Comment