Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Family Rivalry

In about 15 minutes, the biggest family rivalry will commence in the form of college basketball. The Wisconsin Badgers, proud school of my sister and me, will take on the Marquette Golden Eagles,* of which my dad is an alumnus. I just called home and mom has declared her allegiance to the Badgers. As per tradition, the stakes are high... whoever stands on the losing team's side has to endure the punishment of doing the holiday dishes.

*If you think that mascot is dumb, just a couple of years ago they wanted to change the name to the Marquette Gold. The public outcry was so bad that they had a vote on a new mascot, and it went back to the lame Golden Eagles.

Other notes:

- Thanks to Dave for introducing me to Division II, I mean Division B, I mean Division IA, I mean Division IAA football as his UMass team beat Montana. Now, hold on to your seats as I introduce a potential earth shattering concept... UMass advances to play next week for the Championship. This is called a "playoff" and it appears to be a GREAT way to determine a championship on the field. It may even beat the system of voting for the champ!

- Is it just me, or has Martha been extra quiet recently?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. How can I be *quiet* in the blogging world? :-) I'm rooting for Marquette-coincidentally, I'm wearing my Marquette sweatshirt today.

Dale said...

Your quietness has permeated all the way out here.

By the way, ON WISCONSIN!

Viki said...

I remember when they switched the Marquette mascot - I think it's dumb, too.

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Golden Eagles isn't that lame. At least you can have an Eagle mascot.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061210/OSH02/61209039/1148

In case you didn't know, BADGERS WIN