That's it. Pluto is no longer a planet. (Dean, I can't believe you haven't jumped on this yet... this is something I would expect to find on your blog). I can't decide if it's a minor thing or if it's earth shattering. I mean we all grew up learning that there was nine planets, and all the textbooks have nine planets. You know what this is? This is a conspiracy created by the textbook compaines to have an excuse to print new versions of their books!
OK not really. But it is a pretty big deal, don't you think? Imagine if you were a elementary school teacher. What a great teaching opportunity to demonstrate the scientific method...
BTW, anyone know the significance of the title?
Thursday, August 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I actually was going to post it, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. =)
It's a mnemonic, good trivia question! Although this one's messed up because Pluto was closer to the sun than Neptune from 1979-1999.
I don't think it demonstrates "scientic method". I think it demonstrates the arbitariness of classificiation.
I'm shocked!!! I think I would have preferred them adding 3 planets than taking one away....
Pluto the Disney Dog is pissed!
How about that, Tom's checking blogs the day after his wedding :)
On www.sciam.com they were proposing mnemonic devices in the case they would add 3 planets. Let me tell you it wasn't pretty, especially the X part.
I hear the mnemonic device is now something like, "My very excellent mother just served us nachos..." OR "My very exhausted mother just served us nothing." :) Actually, didn't they reconsider their decision to re-define Pluto? Those guys can't figure out what's going on!
Post a Comment