Thursday, March 23, 2006

If Jim were still a brand manager, he'd be proud of me

So (notice a lot of my blogs start off with "so"? I guess it's because it's neat to start off like you're in the middle of a conversation)... So I took my contacts out today for what hopefully will be the last time for the rest of my life. A week from today is my Lasik evalution, and two days later I will have the procedure done. It's amazing how this product or service is more than just stopping someone from needing glasses or contacts anymore, it's a major lifestyle change for the better. And the emotional ties to it... Guess those marketing people at P&G know what they're talking about when they talk about having a holistic consumer experience with their products.

I'll give you another product that is much more than just the product... how it's the holistic consumer experience. This occured to me as I was coming back from a trip, on the shuttle bus from the airport terminal to the parking lot. It hit me that flying is totally a necessary evil; when people talk about "enjoying your flight" it's such a crock. I never feel right after getting off a plane, just seems like equilibrium is messed up. Anyways, I digress... So I'm on the shuttle bus, and the enthusiastic driver goes "How is everyone today?" The rest of the bus seems to share my feelings about airplane flights, and we're all like "ug." One guy finally goes, "I could use a cold beer." That's when I realize that a beer isn't just a fermented, carbonated solution of barley, wheat, and corn cooked in water. A beer means relaxation, happiness, comraderie. It's Miller Time!

Wow, can't believe I rambled on that long about this. If I were in a marketing class, I'd be asking for extra credit.

OK one example of poor product design. McDonald's new "Triple Thick" Milkshakes. Apparently they had done some consumer tests that showed that these are more preferable. I think it's a crock. I got milkshakes because I had a long drive ahead of me and wanted something good to sip on. It's impossible to drink a triple thick milkshake... you hafta use a spoon to eat it (it's more like a Frosty from Wendy's). So now I don't get McDonald's milkshakes anymore because it makes a mess when I try to eat and drive.

2 comments:

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Not much to say. Glad you're blogging though! I've had much less AIM time recently so it's good to know you're alive.

Anonymous said...

Uhh, the reason the B2 didn't show up with flash isn't due to stealth technology. If that were the case, the rest of the picture would have been brighter.

The reason is because the effective range of flash on a consumer camera is only about 10-15 ft. However, because the flash is on, your camera compensates by reducing the exposure settings since it's anticipating a bright light source. That's why you should never use flash when the subject is beyond about 15 ft, it makes the picture worse.