Sunday, January 20, 2008

The agony of defeat x 2

2008 isn't starting so hot sports wise. 2007 showed my two teams, the Cowboys and the Packers, being the #1 and #2 seeds in the playoffs. The odds were REALLY good that I'd have a team in the Superbowl. Alas, not meant to be. The Packers lost to the Giants today. The Giants are now my most hated team in the NFL, ruining both of my team's chances at the Superbowl.

I spent some time today trying to figure out where exactly I was when the Packers won their last Superbowl in '97. It was kinda fun, I ended up going through some email archives of way back then... I noticed that we used email instead of IM back then. In the course of one day, I think I had conversations with 3-4 different people, of at least 3-4 emails long of conversation. And it was detailed enough that I found out where I watched that Superbowl... I said in my email that I was going to the "tailgate party" in my hall and then heading out to Liz Waters (where only women were allowed to live... guys were allowed to visit of course). I apparently watched with a bunch of friends there.

Just goes to show, the Packers would make one more Superbowl after that (lost to Denver the next year... I think I watched it in the same residence hall) and a few playoff appearances. A win today would've put them in again. So the moral of the story is... when your team is good, enjoy the heck out of it, because you can't take anything for granted! So Tom and Dave, live it up...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the playoffs started what were the odds you'd root for the Pats in the superbowl? 2%?

Dave

Martha said...

Soooo disappointing.

I had mono when they were in the superbowl in 97. My poor dad (Green Bay native! His brother's family was at the game) had to sit in the emergency room where they wouldn't show the SUPERBOWL but showed a freaking Andy Griffith marathon...so he missed kickoff.

Katharine said...

I just knew martha would throw in how she spent the packers last superbowl win...
I'm going to have to say go pats for no other reason than i'm feeling a little anti-manning family right now.

Martha said...

Kathy! Jared Lorenzen is the backup quarterback for the Giants. AND the Giants beat the Packers. I say "Go Giants"!

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

I hope the Giants get shutout. Bastards.

Katharine said...

yes, but eli manning is the starting quarterback. and ever since the discussion with mom about the mannings and being in undergraduate the same time peyton was, and having the comment "peyton has a superbowl championship already, and you don't even have your masters yet" set me against the manning family. overachievers :D