Thursday, June 14, 2007

Turandot - American Idol

Last Saturday, I played at Dave S's wedding. I especially love to learn new songs that mean something to people. At sometimes blog reader Erin's wedding, it was "In My Life" by the Beatles. Dave P's wedding, it was Music of the Night. At Jon's wedding, it was the Prayer sung by Celine Dion. Dave requested a song that he fell in love with after hearing it at, of all places, as a demo song for Bose stereo systems. He also heard it later on the final show on our Alaska cruise. So with that, I went off to first try to figure out what song it was, and then to learn it. Dave gave me the Bose radio demo CD, and after listening to it a few times wondered if I would just hafta make it up.
Then I got smart and put it into my computer, and the title of the song popped up... it was called "Nessun Dorma" from the opera "Turandot." So I made sure to play it during the receiving line when Dave at least was present!

Well today on the front page of Yahoo, there was a video clip of a cell phone salesman (wow, this even references Karen!) on American Idol who sings this song and leaves the audience (and me) in tears. Here it is:


What I absolutely love is that this transcends the stereotypical opera crowd into mainstream. I try to transcend classical music as much as I can because it's awesome. A little write up about the opera from Wikipedia. I guess I hafta add Turandot to my very short list of operas that I want to see.

5 comments:

Karen said...

LOVE the video. He was awesome!

also, didn't know SC was a judge on this show - man do the british judges far transcend the US Idol ones!

Anonymous said...

WOW I was not expecting that kind of performance. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That is a great video Dale, I did notice you played it right after and appreciated that.

I'd say it's worth a trip to the Bose demo to hear it.

Dave said...

I can't stop watching this video, he is amazing.
I found in wikipedia that he did win that season of the show and will have an album out soon.

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

Thanks for the video. That was a nice break in the day.