The Cincinnati Community Orchestra concert is this Saturday! Another one of the things I felt like I improved on last year was my violin playing... and it's making orchestra a lot of fun too. We're playing a Spanish theme concert, including Bizet's Carmen. There are many famous tunes in that piece, most famous is probably the song about the bulls. That piece of music has many memories for me. I originally played it in State Honors Orchestra, back when I was in high school. I sat in the middle of the 2nd violin section, right in front of all the cute flute players. That made it pretty fun. :)
After that experience, I figured I really wanted to see the opera. Finally, my senior year of college I had the opportunity as our local theatre put on the show (ironically, on the same stage that I played on for Honors Orchestra!). To top it off, I even brought a date. She was quite a trooper, as the show was three hours long and she had never been to an opera before. I got us $25 tickets, which I hoped weren't too nose-bleed. I was surprised when we were ushered to the first floor, smack dab in the middle, underneath the overhang, with a great view of the stage. I thought that was too good to be true! As the show started, I figured out why... two speakers on the overhang blocked our view of the English translation (this Spanish opera was sung in French) so we ended up having to lean all over each other to read the translation (a more suave guy would've taken advantage of that).
Unfortunately, as most of these stories end up, it also was the last date. But it doesn't matter, the opera was absolutely awesome because I love the music so much and I would definitely go see it again. Next time I'll be able to afford better seats!
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
you're making viki's heart sing with this post! Even your friend jim says he wants to go see an opera... says and goes are two different verbs though and i've yet to see any action
I like that opera. we studied in French class. (unfortunately I have yet to watch a live performance of it)
I'm not sure which I would be more willing to pay to see... Jim eat baby food, or Jim seeing an opera.
Again, late post - you can get a subscription to all four operas in the Cincinnati season (over the summer) for as little as $91. After that prices shoot up a little. Single ticket prices aren't available yet.
If I were doing it I'd probably go for the center gallery because I like to be in the middle, but I don't like to be under anything because it muffles the sound.
Post a Comment