Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year! The traditional Chinese calendar is based on the phases of the moon (vs. the regular calendar which is based off the sun). This year, it happened to fall on the same weekend as President's Day, so I took the opportunity to return to Milwaukee visit the family. (Side note: did you ever notice that Earth's moon doesn't have a name? All the moons on other planets have names. We just call ours "moon."). One of the best traditions is the parents giving the kids a "hong bao," or red envelope, with money inside. However, my sister and I apparently have outgrown the tradition since we weren't given any this time. :)

Yesterday I played my friend Jason in tennis, and for the 347th straight time, lost. One of these days... I really need to play more out here.

On Friday night, my sister got me and 10 friends tickets to the Milwaukee Admirals game (our local minor league hockey team). The seats were awesome and the game was a lot of fun. My favorite Admiral is now Chris Durno, who had a hat trick and led the Admirals to a 4-3 win! So what do you think of the Admiral's logo?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The term is 'satellite'. The Earth has 1 that we call 'Moon'.

Karen said...

i didn't realize you liked Hockey!! your sister is the queen of cool events hook-ups!

Finlands finest said...

I like the red envelope tradition, sorry to hear you've outgrown it!

Happy New Year!

Martha said...

you put a smiley face for having outgrown a tradition where you get money...? Besides, I actually thought the tradition wasn't so much for kids as it was for singles (which would include kids, of course).

Winston Lee (Savvy Familee) said...

I think Martha is right. You're supposed to get it until you get married. But then again, you're supposed to give it to everyone in a younger generation than you and that's probably not happening either.

The mascot looks Raider-esque and I hate Oakland.