Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Not allowed to rip on marketing

I got a call from Alejandro the marketing guy at work a few weeks ago. He said to stop ripping on marketing people on my blog. I told him I'm an equal opportunity ripper, I rip on engineering just as much if not more (why does this feel like I'm in a Dilbert cartoon?). Let's see if he's still paying attention as I vent about this:

On our project team, we have two choices in terms of a package: A cheap boring one, and an expensive cool looking one. So how do you decide which one to use? Well, you figure out which one makes you the most money right? Apparently that's not how it works. Everyone's rejected the cheap boring one, saying "but it's so boring!" So if the marketing guy is reading this, tell me why we don't run tests to see how much more product we sell or how much more people are willing to pay for the cool looking expensive package versus the cheap one? Are we in business to make money or to make cool looking stuff? Maybe this is a better question for the Finance guy. If he's reading my blog I'd be stunned, bc I can't get a hold of him at work much less on a blog.

Anyways, by now you should be able to get Swash anywhere in the US on swashitout.com

4 comments:

Martha said...

one other thing to keep in mind is what fits in your budget - if you come under target costs on some things, you can "afford" to go over on others and maintain your price point and margins...
I agree with you - it's not discrimination if it's against all parties.

Karen said...

go with the expensive cool one. i'm a shareholder and my vote should count!

Anonymous said...

example #101 of why I keep my blog out of work

Anonymous said...

Be careful. There are many examples of people who have been fired for content of their blog (either negative comments about their employer, even without mentioning the name. Or other inappropriate material, but identify themselves as an employee). It may not seem fair, but it's entirely within a company's legal rights to terminate an employee for off-site off-hours activity.