So I went down to the ballpark today after work to catch my hometown Milwaukee Brewers play the Reds in what has been a bit of a tradition for me. Back when the Fountain Square lot was open, I would park there for $1. I would then walk to the game, and along the way try to get a cheap ticket off a scalper. I've decided I would not pay more than half of face value for a ticket. I also had on my side the fact that I only needed 1 ticket, so people who had single tickets would hopefully give me a good deal.
So tonight, I found some street parking for free on 8th and Broadway. On the way down, one person wouldn't give me anything for less than my walk away price (in fact tried to sell me a $40 ticket for $60, which is stupid bc unless it's sold out, I can get it for $40 at the ticket window. And I can guarantee that it won't be sold out). The second ticket person I ran into I was able to get a $30 seat for $15. I made some small talk with him, told him that I wish I had his job (mainly because I'd be working for myself and I'd get to be out there every day and could take whatever ticket I didn't sell and go watch the game) and asked him if he liked what he was doing. He basically said "well, I'm out here bc I need to." As I started walking away, he said "hold on" and gave me a pass to the club level for free. It was quite a nice gesture.
Although I never did make it to the club level (for reasons I'll expound on), I wonder what inspired him to do that. The fact I took an interest in him? Maybe it's stuff that Mr. Carnegie is teaching, Karen? I was sincerely interested... anything that has to do with being entreprenurial!
OK, the reason why I never made it to the club level was because the game SUCKED (at least for a Brewer fan). I left my beautiful seats in the 7th inning it was so bad (13-1). I then spent the next 20 minutes searching for my car, bc I had neglected to take note of where exactly I parked it... But that's for another blog. Need to get to bed as my triumphant return to Lima awaits me tomorrow.
Monday, May 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i sincerely have no doubt it was because of carnegie - people love it when you're sincrely interested in them!!
Doh, I hate losing the car. Usually, I can just hit the "alarm" button on my remote keyless.
That's quite the beating we took. Impressed you made it to the 7th.
Post a Comment